Here in the ultra-swank Guitar.com compound, we were surfin’ the web lookin’ for ways to help save the world and/or score ourselves a cool new guitar, and we came across five really cool opportunities to do both at the same time!
Check out these charity auction guitars, variously signed by Slash, Metallica, Alice in Chains, ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, and Rick Springfield.
These auctions all end in the next few days, though, so if you want one or two of these guitars, ya better submit your bid right quick. All support worthwhile charities, and some of the top current bids on these guitars are still within the realm of reality of an actual working musician.
1. Gibson SG signed by Slash and Alice in Chains. Brand new 2013 Gibson SG J Series in white satin, signed by Slash and Alice in Chains members Jerry Cantrell, Mike Inez, and William Duvall. Comes with a new gig bag and letter of authenticity, and, if this guitar was backstage for any length of time, maybe a hint of oak-barrel whiskey as well. The guitar has an estimated value of $5,000. The proceeds go to Road Recovery, helping teens overcome substance abuse and other adversities. Bidding ends Monday, August 11, 2014. Current high bid at press time: $1,800.
The auction: Gibson SG signed by Slash and Alice in Chains
The charity: Road Recovery
2. Gibson Les Paul Signature “T” signed by Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. This wine red Gibson Les Paul is a 2013 model in honor of Les Paul himself, and features a pair of Gibson’s Classic ‘57 pickups which can switch between humbucker and single coil tones. Comes with a snakeskin look hardshell case, and of course the Reverend’s signature too, for that added funky mojo when you’re gettin’ down with your bad self at the next blues jam. Bidding ends Thursday, August 14, 2014. Current high bid at press time: $3,537.
The charity: Rock School Fund
3. ESP Horizon signed by James Hetfield of Metallica. This guitar was actually donated by the Deftones, and signed by Hetfield when he appeared on the Stephen Colbert show in 2013. So what happened to Colbert and the Deftones? Were they too busy chowing down in the green room at the time and couldn’t be pulled away from the free spread of catered lunch meats? Whatever. This guitar benefits Road Recovery, just like the Slash guitar. Bidding ends Monday, August 11, 2014. Current high bid at press time: $900.
The auction: ESP Horizon signed by James Hetfield of Metallica
The charity: Road Recovery
4. Fiesta guitar signed by Rick Springfield. This Fiesta red “Rick Springfield Logo” guitar has an estimated value of $1,000 and was donated by Rick himself with proceeds going to the fund to get back Jesse’s Girl. Actually, that’s a lie. Rick put this guitar up for auction to benefit Help Hope Live, a charity organization which helps families deal with crushing medical bills. Bidding ends Wednesday, August 13, 2014. Current high bid at press time: only $400.
The auction: Fiesta guitar signed by Rick Springfield
The charity: Help Hope Live
5. Fender Squier Jazzmaster signed by Cheap Trick. This guitar has an estimated value of $1,500 -- with the band’s signatures -- and was donated by the band with proceeds going to the Sweet Relief Musicians Fund. Sweet Relief is a charity organization which helps ailing musicians with financial assistance. Actually, I’m ailing of not achieving my dreams of rock and roll stardom. Does that qualify? Bidding ends Thursday, August 14, 2014. Current high bid at press time: only $550.
The auction: Fender Squier Jazzmaster signed by Cheap Trick
The charity: Sweet Relief Musicians Fund