Death By Audio has launched the Rooms, a digital stereo reverb pedal loaded with six different algorithms that all promise to deliver glitchy, strange and dynamic ambience.
DBA founder, Oliver Ackermann, has what the brand calls a “lifelong obsession with reverb effects units” – which inspired him to create the rooms. The pedal packs six reverb algorithms, all offering up a different flavour of ambience:
- ROOM, a classic room reverb.
- DIGIT, a filter matrix reverb that resonates and oscillates, distorting as it does so.
- PEAK, which combines a bandpass filter with an ambient reverb.
- WAVE, which offers the strange gated reverb effect. The time knob here will determine whether the sound is short and choppy, or effectively a note frozen in time.
- GATE, which creates a pitch vibrato effect, introducing modulated, shimmery sounds.
- GONG, which Death By Audio says offers “ethereal, crushed reverb sounds guaranteed to make you a star in the upcoming remake of DUNE and live out your sci-fi fantasies of space travel and galactic domination. Control the spice, control the universe.”
The pedal features an ALT footswitch, which engages a secondary set of controls, meaning the player can shift between settings and The ALT footswitch also activates the expression pedal, for sweeps of the pedal’s Time function.
The Rooms’ output mixer has been designed in collaboration with Electronic Audio Experiments, and ranges from -inf to 20x gain for both the wet and dry signals. Various routing options are on offer, thanks to the dual-mono signal chains, meaning the pedal can be incorporated into both parallel processing and dual-amp rigs without issue.
The pedal first came to light at NAMM, and the brand has today (30 January) announced that preorders are open to the public. Pedals will ship in spring 2020. More information at deathbyaudio.com.