EarthQuaker Devices unleash the Astral Destiny octave/reverb pedal
It sounds a bit like C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
Images: Earthquaker Devices
EarthQuaker Devices has unveiled its latest pedal, a modulated, octave-soaked reverb pedal entitled the Astral Destiny.
The pedal’s controls tweak eight discrete sounds, with knobs for the reverb’s depth, tone, trail length and mix, as well as modulation rate. Eight presets are selected with a rotary knob, or alternatively the pedal can operate in Live Mode rather than Preset Mode – meaning what you see is what you get.
The pedal’s secondary footswitch also engages a “stretch” mode – which double’s the reverb’s trail length and adds and adjustable pitch bending control.
The expression pedal input can be assigned to operate any of the pedal’s main parameters.
The eight reverb sounds on board are as follows:
- Abyss: a huge reverb with no octave effect
- Shimmer: adds an upper octave to the reverb tail
- Sub: adds a lower octave to the reverb tail
- Sub Shimmer: adds an upper and lower octave to the reverb tail
- Astral: adds an upper and lower octave combined with a regenerating tail
- Ascend: upward pitch bending on the reverb trail
- Descend: downward pitch bending on the reverb trail
- Cosmos: Adds a regenerating fifth to the reverb tail
EarthQuaker notes that the Ascend, Descend and Cosmos modes are best used on sustained notes/chords, as the pitch-bending effect could clash and run into itself with faster playing. But, that could be exactly the sound you’re looking for.
Hear the pedal in action with EQD’s official demo below.
The Astral Destiny lists for £205. Find out more at earthquakerdevices.com.
Get the latest news, reviews and features to your inbox.Subscribe