Speaking to NME about the release, Deftones frontman Chino Moreno said: “It’s amazing to hear Robert rework one of our songs and sneak his voice in there. If you’d have told me that when I was 15-years-old, I would have lost my fucking mind and not believed a word you were saying. It was a dream.”
You can hear Robert Smith’s take on Teenager below.
Black Stallion arrives as a celebration of the 20th anniversary of Deftones’ seminal third album White Pony. Across the album will be reimagined takes on tracks by the likes of Tourist, Squarepusher and DJ Shadow. Robert Smith’s version of Teenager follows the release of remixes by Purity Ring and Linkin Park’s Mike Shinoda.
2020 was set to be a busy year for Deftones – their ninth album, Ohms, arrived in August, to critical acclaim, and they had a tour with Gojira and Poppy scheduled, although thanks to the pandemic this has been pushed back to 2021.
Deftones’ Black Stallion arrives on streaming services 11 December. Its full tracklist is below.
- Feiticeira (Clams Casino remix)
- Digital Bath (DJ Shadow remix)
- Elite (Blanck Mass remix)
- Rx Queen (Salva remix)
- Street Carp (Phantogram remix)
- Teenager (Robert Smith remix)
- Knife Prty (Purity Ring remix)
- Korea (Trevor Jackson remix)
- Passenger (Mike Shinoda remix)
- Change (In the House of Flies) (Tourist remix)
- Pink Maggit (Squarepusher remix)
For more music news, click here.