Metallica recently riled up speculation with the introduction of MetallicaXX.com – for several days the site consisted of only a countdown timer, which set the rumour mill in motion.
But the timer has expired, running out on Thursday (10 October) and being replaced with an announcement. It’s transpired that the ‘XX’ in the website’s name was to do with the band’s plans for 2020, which we now know include appearances at five US music festivals. Each appearance at each festival will see the thrash metal giants play two unique sets, first on Friday, then closing off the weekends on Sunday. The band are also holding a contest to win an all-expenses-paid trip to any of the festivals. The announced list of 2020 dates for the band is as follows:
- 1-3 May: Epicenter, Charlotte, North Carolina
- 8-10 May: Welcome To Rockville, Daytona Beach, Florida
- 15-17 May: Sonic Temple Art + Music Festival, Columbus, Ohio
- 18-20 September: Louder Than Life, Louisville, Kentucky
- 9-11 October: Aftershock, Sacramento, California
The announcement also notes that these dates are the only North American festivals that Metallica will play – but given that this works out to 10 sets across the year, Metallica fans will be somewhat spoilt for choice.