An unearthed Johnny Cash live show from ‘73 to be released by Third Man Records
Also included in the release are unreleased Forever Words poems from Cash.
Photo: Gijsbert Hanekroot / Redferns
The record is titled A Night To Remember, and will feature Cash’s full show at the Ahmanson Theatre across two LPs, with the included DVD offering a backstage glimpse at the 1973 show.
Along with this, Third Man Records has included an accompanying gold seven-inch, which includes unreleased Forever Words poems written by Cash. These poems were performed by singer-songwriter Ruston Kelly, as well as a “super-secret mystery artist” yet to be revealed.
The concert itself sees Cash perform some of his best-known material including songs such as Walk The Line, A Boy Named Sue and Hey Potter. Several guest artists, including the likes of June Carter Cash and Carl Perkins, also join the iconic musician onstage on several tunes.
The A Week to Remember concert series was organised by Columbia Records and music executive Clive Davis. Other acclaimed artists who performed at the events include Bruce Springsteen, the Staple Singers, Miles Davis, and Earth, Wind & Fire.
A Night To Remember’s two-LP tracklist:
1. Big River
2. Sunday Morning Coming Down
3. The City Of New Orleans
4. Ballad Of Barbara
5. A Boy Named Sue
6. Going To Memphis
7. That Silver Haired Daddy Of Mine – with Carl Perkins
8. Medley: Hey Porter/ Folsom Prison Blues/ Wreck Of The Old 97/Orange Blossom Special
9. I Walk The Line
10. Jackson – with June Carter Cash
11. If I Were A Carpenter – with June Carter Cash
12. Help Me Make It Through The Night
13. Help Me with June Carter Cash & Larry Gatlin
14. Lord, Is It I?/The Last Supper
15. If I Had A Hammer with June Carter Cash
17. Daddy Sang Bass with June Carter Cash & Carl Perkins
16. Will The Circle Be Unbroken with June Carter Cash & Carl Perkins
18. Folsom Prison Blues (outro)
Earlier this June also saw Third Man Records unearth another historical performance: the Stooges’ infamous 1970 gig at the Goose Lake International Music Festival in Michigan. The record that the label put out is said to comprise the only soundboard recording of the band’s original lineup.
Learn more about A Night To Remember here.
For more music news, click here.