Fresh features include: nine new modes, CV/expression pedal control for Drag, and trails/no trails switching. Besides that, the Afterneath V3 is the same otherworldly reverb unit whose sound ranges from ping-pong delays to subterranean, cavernous echoes. Or, as EQD put it, it sounds like “a wizard bursting forth from an ethereal cave and ready for the ambient battle”.
The new modes include:
- Unquantised Volt/Octave: Smooth and unquantised, but lets the user control the modulation of audio or the frequency of self-oscillation
- Chromatic Scale: 1v/octave to the chromatic scale
- Major Scale: 1v/octave to the major scale
- Pentatonic Scale: 1v/octave to the pentatonic scale
- Octaves & Fifths: 1v/octave that omits all except for octaves and fifths
- Octaves: 1v/octave that omits all except for octaves
The Drag parameter, which can now be controlled via CV or expression pedal, separates the individual delay lines – turn it clockwise for more reverb-like atmospheres and the opposite direction for a more scattered effect.
Another useful feature on the Afterneath is its Reflect knob, which changes the depth of the ‘cave’ and the reverb regen. It also works as a feedback control – which means it can self-oscillate the further clockwise you go.
More info at earthquakerdevices.com.