KHDK Electronics, the pedal company co-founded by Kirk Hammett, has joined forces with Gary Holt on a limited-edition offering: the Paranormal Parametric EQ Overdrive pedal.
As its name suggests, this stompbox combines a parametric EQ with an overdrive circuit, aiming to capture the ferocious tones of the Exodus and Slayer guitarist.
At the pedal’s heart is an EQ section with comprehensive controls. There’s a bass knob to manage low-end, a tone knob that governs brightness and, interestingly, a volume slider. On top of these, here are a few mid controls that allow further tuning:
- Mid slider: Governs midrange output
- Turned up: Boosts mids by +10dB
- Turned down: Cuts mids by -10dB
- Bandwidth knob: Sets width of midrange
- Clockwise: Wider range and more transparency
- Anti-clockwise: Narrow midrange, specific frequencies are highlighted
- Minimum setting: Effect is stronger and influence of mid control is more aggressive
- Freq knob: Lets you sweep mid frequency
- Moves mid control’s center frequency from 30Hz to 8000Hz
On the overdrive front, a simple drive knob controls the circuit, and can be dialled up for more sustain and gain.
Rounding out the pedal’s features are a bypass switch and an internal volume trimmer. The latter can be used to feed a stronger signal into the overdrive section for more gain and compression, or a weaker signal for a cleaner output with more headroom.
Check out a short clip on the Paranormal below:
Only 250 units of this pedal will be produced. Each retails at $249.99. More info at khdkelectronics.com.